Sept 21, 2021: 52 days ahead of the event, we were given the Disney+ Day lineup.
Last year, Disney+ Day happened on the 1 year anniversary of Disney+. It was previously announced that Disney+ content would include: Shang-Chi And The Legend of The Ten Rings, Jungle Cruise, Home Sweet Home Alone, Olaf Presents, Frozen Fever, Paperman, The Ballad of Nessie, Feast, Get a Horse!, The Little Matchgirl, Tick Tock Tale, Tangled Ever After, Ciao Alberto, The Simpsons in Plusaversary, The World According to Jeff Goldblum, Under the Helmet: The Legacy of Boba Fett, Marvel Studios’ 2021 Disney+ Day Special, Intertwined, and in international markets, Dopesick.
Nov 8th, 2021: 4 days ahead of the event, we were given the complete Disney+ Day lineup.
- A new documentary, The Making of Happier than Ever: A Love Letter to Los Angeles, about Billie Eilish’s recent Disney+ cinematic concert experience;
- Marvel Assembled: The Making of Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings, a docu-special chronicling the creation of the recent Marvel Studios’ theatrical release;
- Marvel Studios Legends: Hawkeye, an episode that revisits all of Hawkeye’s moments from the MCU in preparation for the upcoming Disney+ Original Series;
- The live-action/animated musical fantasy romantic comedy film Enchanted from 2007, starring Amy Adams and Patrick Dempsey;
- The recent Disney Channel Original Movie Spin where Rhea, an Indian American teen, discovers her passion for creating DJ mixes that blend her South Asian culture and the world around her;
- All episodes of Fancy Nancy season 3, which will launch day and date with its premiere on Disney Junior.
We’re now 30 days until Disney+ Day and 31 to D23. Here is a list of titles we hope to see dropped during this monumental weekend. We’re hoping for an entire crazy weekend of announcements, titles dropping, and Disney-owned fare to keep subscribers happy! We’re prepared to be let down. Remaining optimistic! Let’s start off with what has been confirmed.
Confirmed Content Slate:
- Pinocchio (Original Disney live-action remake film)
- Cars on the Road (Original Pixar series)
- Growing Up (Original docuseries)
- Epic Adventures with Bertie Gregory (Original Nat Geo series)
- Unknown Earth (Tierra Incógnita) (International confirmed, but believed to be global)
Desired Special Events / Experiences:
- New global launches: Disney+ Hotstar launch in The Philippines is likely. There is a possibility that they’ll arrive in some APAC / Oceania islands. We don’t see them launching in any other countries right now because they haven’t hired staff for any of the missing Asian or African markets. However, there are a bunch of islands, some of which are territories of countries that already have Disney+, which could be added without much fanfare. That’s been the case for many islands and territories which Disney NEVER officially announced.
- IMAX-enhanced films expansion: They should add the ones that aren’t MCU ones! Lightyear was the first, but others, like Tron Legacy are in IMAX.
- New UI upgrades / features: Disney+ has genuinely done the least of any major streaming service in the past 2 years with UI and features. It’s time to get with it. An official rollout of a Watchlist row (properly placed at the top of homescreen, not 15 rows down a they’ve been testing it…), a like or dislike button, the ability to hover over thumbnails on the desktop to pop up a trailer or metadata, ribbons that say “New Episodes” that appear over thumbnails, curated linear channels, or a seamless, full-screen hero (like every other streaming service) would be solid start.
- ESPN+ add-on: Let people sign up for ESPN+ and view that content in Disney+. This feature is already available on Hulu.
- Ad-tier launch: This is the perfect time to do it.
- This is necessary in predation for the premiere of Dancing With The Stars on Monday the 19th of September. Competition shows don’t air without commercials, they’re built-in to the DNA and pacing. More on that… right after this break. Unless they want to drop it that day without any testing to make sure it doesn’t ruin their big premiere…
- Next day episodes releases should be announced in conjunction with the ad-tier. Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, Nat Geo Wild, and Nat Geo should forevermore add their specials and episodes the day after they air. Select ABC and Freeform shows should also be part of this initial change with FX joining down the line…
- A massive content drop of series from ABC, Nat Geo, 20th TV should occur at this time or be announced. Additionally, films from Touchstone, Hollywood, and Disney Pictures would be part of this drop. This drop would be to justify the inevitable price increase that will accompany the ad-tier as well as allow Disney to maximize the ad-tier’s revenue.
Let’s keep the fun rolling with a few Marvel additions. Back in March, Disney+ updated parental controls to allow for Netflix produced, Disney owned content to shift onto the superior platform. On August 22nd, Disney+ surprised us with Deadpool 1, Deadpool 2, and Logan ushering in R rated films onto Disney+. Would it be possible to get more Marvel content?
- Thor: Love And Thunder – This seems a given.
- Cloak & Dagger (S1-3)
- The Gifted (S1-2)
- Hit-Monkey (S1)
- MODOK (S1)
- Nick Fury: Agent of Shield
- Bonus would be Marvel adjacent titles such as any Spider-Man flicks… 😀 Why not woork out a deal to share them with Starz / Netflix? Who needs money?
On August 10th, we’re expected to receive The Orville, but what other TV-PG, TV-14, or TV-MA titles could make their way onto the platform? Here are some guesses:
- Malcolm in the Middle (S1-7)
- Doogie Howser (S1-4)
- Mixed-ish (S1-2)
- Galavant (S1-2)
- The D’Amelio Show (S1)
- How I Met Your Father (S1)
- Solar Opposites (S1-2)
- Only Murders in the Building (S1-2)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (S1-7) & Angel (S1-5)
- Firefly (S1)
- The Fosters (S1-5)
- Young & Hungry (Leaves Netflix August 24th)
- Dollface (S1-2)
- Woke (S1-2)
- American Horror Story (S1-S10) & American Horror Stories (S1)
We continue to rally for INTERNATIONAL content to be made available worldwide:
- Bia (Season 2), The World Upside Down, and concert films
- Soy Luna’s concert films
- Rookie Cops
- Daddies on Request
- Penny on MARS
- Binny and the Ghost
We hope for next day episodes from Nat Geo to begin and for Disney+ to become the exclusive home to Nat Geo titles currently locked into Hulu like:
- Genius (Seasons 1-3) – Season 4 is already confirmed to be a Disney+ Original in the future
- 9/11: One Day in America
- Armstrong Tapes
- Blood on the Wall
- Locked Up Aboard
- Hitler’s Last Stand
- The Armstrong Tapes
- The Boonies
- To Catch A Smuggler
- Superstructures: Engineering Marvels
- Trafficked with Marianna Van Zeller
- Underworld Inc
- Drugs Inc
- The Hot Zone
- Bin Laden’s Hard Drive
How about Disney-owned and vaulted content? We hear you in the back!
- Bear in the Big Blue House
- Muppets Tonight
- Lloyd in Space
- Aladdin the Series
- Parent Trap 2-4
- House of Mouse
- Fillmore! (Available in the United Kingdom)
- Bridge to Terabithia (2007) (Available in Canada)
- The Jungle Book (1994)
- Angels in the Outfield trilogy
- Gamer’s Guide To Pretty Much Everything (2015-2017) (Left DisneyNOW Oct 1)
- Penn Zero Part Time Hero (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in SE Asia)
- Motorcity (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in SE Asia)
- Aaron Stone (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in India)
- Zorro (Available on Disney+ Latin America)
- Dave the Barbarian (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in India)
- Bunnytown (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in SE Asia)
- PrankStars (Available on Disney+ Hotstar in SE Asia)
- Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bonus titles brought to you by Drew:
- My Date With The President’s Daughter
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids: The Series
- EEK! The Cat
Bonus titles brought to you by Greg:
- Alvin and the Chipmunks (2 and 3)
- Love, Simon
- Spies in Disguise
You must be logged in to post a comment.